Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How do you react when a friend behaves as if s/he never knew you?

Today I was in a social event and I was hanging out with my staff members of a part-time job. I was excited to meet everyone, give them a charming smile, crack some jokes, enjoy fun conversations and make new friends! But haven't you ever approached some acquaintances who act like they never know you or never even say "hello"?

It did happen to me today with one of my coworkers! Every time we were in close proximity and I am giving eye contact, my coworker didn't respond back. It made me ponder when I never received even a "hello"! Sometimes it makes me confused. With a confused state of mind, I ended up asking these questions. Does the person just do not like me? Is she too shy to say "Hi" to me first? Is she waiting for me to greet her first? Why she overlooked me when walked passed me? Is she just mad because I didn't approach first? Am I not good enough?

After I calmed down a little bit, I realized that I was over analyzing a trivial situation. People are just different. They might have a bad day. They might be too shy. They might just not like me anymore. They might feel insecure. They could also be mad at me. They might might not like my new hair style. They might think they are not good enough. There could be dozens of unknown possibilities, and there is no way to know unless you "ask" or just "read" minds. I do believe I can never please every humans in the planet, just like every humans cannot please me. For example, I feel displeased if someone has severely bad breath, shaky handshake and invade my personal space! In the same and extreme way, a serial killer can never please me to be his/her friend.

Couple of lessons I have learnt from this "troubled" situation:
  1. I would rather be forward than wait for someone to meet me.
  2. I would always ask, rather than assume something "horrible". Most of the time our imagination exaggerate the situation.
  3. People have different rules and values. Next time I feel confused, I would rather try to understand him first, before being understood.
So, how do you react when a friend acts like s/he never knows you? Comment, Below! Don't worry I know your intentions are always good! :P

2 comments:

  1. Hi, this is tough and horrible! ha ha.. But like what you said, there are a lot of "might be" if you are just going to think of it and just stand while waiting for her or him to be the first to greet you. Maybe same reaction with you at first, but I won't let the day not to ask her or him about it, just to be sure about my "might be" in my mind. And to get rid of misunderstanding too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. This is usually the hardest part for me - clear misunderstanding.

    ReplyDelete