Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

This Exam is Killing Me

There are strategies I have always applied during my days in college which actually helped me to cope up with exam preparations. Most of the time it was nervousness and anxiety that I am going to fuck up big time. Other times I just wasn't prepared enough to take the exam because I was too lazy. Here are couple of tips which always helped me in "any" kind of exams.

Make Sure to Breath
I know you hear this a lot. But it's true. I took over hundreds of exams in my college, and there were times my mind went completely blank. I forget the simple definition I memorized the day before, I don't understand the question or I get way too nervous when time was running out. After studying some meditation techniques, I realized that the best way to rebound in that situation is to push my exam papers away, lean back, and breath fresh air deeply for couple of minutes. Probably drink a sip of water. I know my time is ticking, but those 2-3 minutes of taking more oxygen in my brain actually brings more creative juice and confident state during those stressful situation. I know exam preparation is important; but I realized that if I cannot take control my mental state, I will never be the best. This simple strategy actually helped to perform decently in exams I had crappy preparation.

Work Out
My mentor once told me that if I believe I don't have time to work out then that is exactly the time I should go out for workout. It sounded silly but it actually helped to eliminate stress and being in an energetic state day before the exam day. I usually do 20 to 30 minutes of Cardio as a part of exam preparation. I know that reading your notes, group studying and spending hours whining are our rituals before the exam day. But with some aerobic workout in the gym, you are going to change  the body chemistry to be a top performer and have more edge than your smart ass class mates.

Mind Maps
One question I hate to ask but asked myself anyway: how can I study for the exam while enjoying the process? I know it's not fun. If I fuck up, I will not get scholarship for next semester. My friends will think I am full of shit, and the stupid grade will not look nice my college transcript. But one thing I realized in my life experience is that if I am enjoying the process and do my best, the end result will never be disappointing. I found "mind mapping" a way to make my preparation more fun. I usually have some crayons, different markers, and start drawing circles to organize my ideas. Here is an article which will introduce you to the whole mind mapping concept. There are 3 benefits I always have: I learn in a holistic way since I can see all pieces of puzzles together, I learn faster than average college students, and I feel unique since I have seen none my classmates trying this approach!

Protein Rich Breakfast & Fish Oil
This is probably the first time I share about this because this is one of my best kept "open" secrets. Ever since I started to have a protein rich breakfast (e.g. 2-3 scrambled eggs, soy milk and fresh orange juice) and also taking 2-3 fish oils, my concentration increased by ten folds. Protein rich breakfast made me fuller and gave me more energy through out the day. On the other hand, fish oils provided me high concentrations. There has been a study that fish oils improve focus and thinking skills for 8-12 children who can't pay attention. I know you aren't a retard, but if it works so well for those kids, it will work wonders for you. Try the "Nature Made Fish Oil". It is purified to get rid of all mercury, and you will find it in Target Stores. Please don't settle for a cup of coffee (probably stay away from it at all cost) and a brownie in the early morning. This is a not a post to give you breakfast ideas, but here is a credible article I found about breakfast benefits you might find a good read.

With great boost of energy by having eating breakfast intelligently, drawing mind maps to enjoy the process, working out to gain additional concentration, and taking time to breath during stress actually made a drastic result to my performance. I know your mom told you to study hard and be good boy/girl, but you also got to think out side the box to be the best performer you can possibly become.

No comments:

Post a Comment