Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Best Way to Put Out a Fire

I think the best way to extinguish a fire is to not to allow it to grow. That means cutting the factors that allows it to be created in the first place i.e. oxygen. We can all agree that it would be silly to extinguish a fire with more fire. More fire will just let it grow more and end up destroying what's left of things we are trying to protect.

I think emotions are similar to fire. It is a chemical storms in our brain that allows us to survive and make decision in this fast paced 21st century. They are energy.  Energy can never be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. I realized that bad shits happen in our lives, we start to give more emotions around those issue and end up amplifying it further. I think the solution is if we let the emotions be there and simply observe. A fire in a lamp can be lit for so long until it runs out of oil. I think if I just let it be there and be the silent observer long enough, the emotions just decapitates.

Does that mean I ask you to suppress your emotions? Not at all. Suppress or avoiding the issue at hand also take a lot of energy. As a result it helps the fire to grow more. I pretty much spend my entire childhood life suppressing fear and anger, and that didn't go so well. I think one of the best way (I didn't say best way) to let go of an insufferable emotion in the moment is to let it be there for a while. Feel it. Play with it. But do not try to use force, analysis, rationalization, and suppression. I just let it be there for a while even if it hurts because I know it's time and observation that heal it for good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment